Hey everybody :-)
I just wanted to give you a quick impression about how to travel along Sri Lankas' south coast.
So this article is just about some informations in general.
Traveling from Negombo on the west coast to Matara on the south coast is pretty easy.
You've got several options to combine the famous coastline cities. Either:
- by public bus
- by train
- by private taxi share hire
- by own car or tuktuk hire..
Most famous cities on the southwest coast are:
- Bentota (train station: Aluthgama)
- Dikwella / Hiriketiya
The train is running until Matara.
From Matara to Tangalle busses are running frequently (like every 10 minutes).
From Tangalle to Arugambay there's one bus a day in the early afternoon.
What to do in:
- Bentota: Enjoying the Beach & Sunset
- Hikkaduwa: Surfing, Beach Life
- Galle: strolling through the dutch old town
- Weligama: Yoga & Surfing
- Mirissa: Yoga & Surfing, Beach Life, Whale watching
- Dikwella / Hiriketiya: Surfing
- Arugambay: Yoga & Surfing, Beach Life, Safari
Here's an example, how much money and time you have to spend, if you want to combine the cities mentioned above:
- Negombo - Colombo train station: Tuktuk for around 400 LKR / travel time around 30 - 40 minutes
- Colombo train station - Aluthgama / Bentota: 75 LKR / 1.5 hrs
- Aluthgama / Bentota - Hikkaduwa: 90 LKR / 1 hr
- Hikkaduwa - Galle: 50 LKR / 30 minutes
- Galle - Weligama or Mirissa (bus nr. 350): 70 LKR / 1 hr
- Mirissa - Matara (bus nr. 350): 50 LKR / 30 minutes
- Matara - Dikwella / Hiriketiya (bus nr. 548): 50 LKR / 1 hr
- Dikwella / Hiriketiya - Arugambay (bus nr. 35): once a day at 12.30 / 200 LKR + 150 LKR for backpack
There are several Facebook groups you can easily join in to find people, which are planning to go to the same destination.
Mention your travel plans and taxi drivers will make you an offer. Normally they go with vans, that fit up to 7 travellers.
FB groups are the following ones:
- Sri Lanka Taxi Share
- Sri Lanka Car and Drive Hire
- Sir Lanka Backpackers